The meeting last night at Wolfville school was well attended except, surprisingly, by the pawns in the game – the children. Few were visible and only one spoke all evening. [This was odd indeed since children have been easily mobilised as poster children, for anti-idling campaigns for example]. We are left to wonder what the youngsters think. Perhaps the Gr. 6 – 8 crowd would be happy to get out of our problem prone facility and try the Pizza in another town?
Attendees were welcomed with “Save our Wolfville School” buttons , and an alarmingly coloured red folder containing information sheets. The mayor introduced a consultant [Did we hear right? from Ramp Up?] who MC’d the evening. After summarizing some of the information handed out, all were encouraged to join discussion groups on various topics with volunteer facilitators – Impact on the Town, Busing, Quality of Education and the like. Those who could stay after that were to gather together again to hear a summary of those discussions.
We drifted around and left before the fireworks. Quite emotional enough as it was. What we learned:
- The mayor thinks the $4. 5 Million promise “will be honoured” – but this “assurance” is not in writing and perhaps might be spent on other schools or if on our school to renovate for a P-5 facility.
- No one has reliable numbers on anything.
- There are two camps: those who think the 4 communities should be presenting a unified face to the Board= ” Consolidation is a flawed principle, don’t do this!!” and those who think we should go it alone = “Wolfville deserves the nod.” Mayor and Council appear to be in the second camp.
- If comments are to be believed, Acadia and Acadia students are much more involved in our school than we would have guessed.
- Insiders think Avonport will get the nod given previous School Board decisions favouring L. E. Shaw
- Political pressure will be put on “our” MLA Ramona Jennex and she will no doubt be reminded that this is an NDP town. In other words – a political decision will be required.
We hope to hear from some Hantsport, Avonport and Gaspereau parents, as well as those from Wolfville in the comments.